You may have heard that aloe vera is great for skin, but did you know this plant’s benefits also extend to your hair and scalp?
Aloe vera contains nutrients known to restore and nourish the hair follicles, as well as soften and strengthen hair strands.
This article discusses the benefits of using aloe vera for your hair, what it is, and how to use it.
What Is Aloe Vera?
Aloe vera is a plant that has thick, fleshy leaves. People have used it for centuries as a general remedy to moisturize skin, treat hair loss, and fight infections.
The gel inside the leaves contains several nutrients, including vitamins, amino acids, enzymes, and antioxidants. This is why you can find it in many skincare products, including moisturizers, cosmetics, or ointments for minor burns and sunburns.
You can also find aloe vera gel in many hair products, including shampoos, conditioners, and styling products that help moisturize hair, treat dandruff, and certain scalp conditions.
Aloe Vera Benefits for Hair
1. Treats Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
Aloe vera has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help to get rid of scalp infections like dandruff. When you apply it topically, aloe’s anti-inflammatory properties may also help soothe the itchiness caused by dandruff.
2. Deeply Moisturizes Hair
Aloe vera helps your hair retain moisture and reduces dryness of the scalp, so it is especially useful if you have dry hair. Use aloe vera gel by itself or mix it with essential oils such as lavender and almond oil to create your own moisturizing hair treatment.
3. Reduces Frizz
One of the many benefits of aloe vera for hair is that it can help control frizz. It may also be beneficial if you have curls or waves that need taming.
4. Natural Detangler
You can use the juice or gel from aloe vera as a detangler because of its ability to smooth the cuticle of the hair strands. This allows for easier combing.
5. Cleanse the Scalp and Hair
If you’re looking for a simple way to cleanse and improve the appearance of your hair and scalp, try using aloe vera gel a few times per week. The natural enzymes present in the gel help to clean all the dirt from your hair and scalp, giving it a good wash.
6. Transforms Dull and Damaged Hair
Aloe vera gel works like a magic ingredient for damaged hair, especially if you have been using chemicals or have color-treated your hair frequently.
The amino acids in aloe vera may also promote healthier hair by removing dead cells from the surface of the scalp.
7. Promotes Hair Growth
Aloe vera gel can block DHT, which is a hormone that causes hair loss in both men and women. It also removes dead cells from your hair follicles to encourage cell renewal for better hair growth.
8. It’s a Great Natural Conditioner
Aloe vera gel is a common ingredient in many commercial hair products because it helps soften and condition the hair. You can also use pure aloe vera gel as a leave-in conditioner after you wash your hair.
9. Controls Oil Production
Fresh aloe vera gel contains enzymes that help in repairing dead skin cells on the scalp that may cause excess oil production. But if you’d like to use it for this purpose, be sure you purchase 100 percent pure aloe vera gel without additives or preservatives.
10. Prevents Sun Damage
Aloe vera gel will help protect your hair from the sun with its natural antioxidants and nutrients. It’s also important to use sunscreen products specially made for the hair, to block out the sun’s harmful rays.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Hair
Here are some ways that you can use aloe vera on your hair to get silky, shiny, and healthy locks:
Aloe vera as a conditioner
- Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and rinse well with clean water.
- While your hair is still wet, massage your scalp with aloe vera gel in a circular motion. Leave on for at least 5 minutes before rinsing well with warm water.
Use 1-2 times per week or as needed to treat dry scalp conditions or other scalp disorders such as eczema or dermatitis.
You could also make an aloe vera and honey conditioner:
- Simply mix 1/2 cup of honey with 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel.
- Massage this mixture into your hair and let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing it out with cool water.
Honey is a hydrating ingredient that helps repair damaged hair while leaving your hair shiny and smooth.
As a leave-in conditioner
To use aloe vera as a leave-in conditioner, make sure the aloe vera gel you are using is pure aloe. You can purchase pure aloe vera gel online or at natural food stores.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner as you usually would.
- Squeeze out the excess water from your hair then dab with a clean dry towel.
- Pour a quarter-sized amount of pure aloe vera gel into your palm, along with a few drops of any hair oil of your choice. You can also use natural oils like almond, coconut, or olive oil.
- Rub the mixture between your palms, then massage it into your hair, from root to tip.
As a shampoo
- Mix 1/4 cup aloe vera gel with 2 tablespoons of your favorite shampoo and apply it to your wet hair as you would any other shampoo.
- Gently massage the mixture into your scalp, working it through your roots and down the length of your hair.
- Leave the shampoo in your hair for two minutes to allow it to work its magic.
- Rinse the shampoo out of your hair thoroughly with warm water.
As a styling gel
Another way to use aloe vera is by mixing it with other ingredients such as coconut oil or olive oil and applying it to your hair as a styling gel. The aloe vera will make sure that your hair stays moisturized throughout the day without looking oily.
As a scalp treatment
At night before bed, apply some pure aloe vera gel onto your scalp and massage thoroughly. Leave it on overnight, or for at least 30 minutes, then wash off in the morning using shampoo and water.
As hair treatment
Aloe vera and lemon juice:
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with three tablespoons of aloe vera gel and apply it to your scalp.
- Massage the mixture into your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
Use this treatment twice a week.
Aloe vera + honey + olive oil:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Carefully apply this mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes before washing it off using a mild shampoo and clean water.
Use this treatment once a week.
Aloe vera gel and coconut milk
- Mix 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with 4 tablespoons of coconut milk in a bowl.
- Gently apply this mixture to your hair from the roots to tips.
- Let it sit for 20-30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Use this remedy once a week to restore the natural shine of your hair.
What Are the Side Effects of Using Aloe Vera for Hair?
Aloe Vera hair treatment is not without its side effects.
The most common side effect of using aloe vera is an allergic reaction. Although rare, signs of an allergic reaction include itching, burning, rash, swelling, and redness.
If you are allergic to garlic or onions, you may be more likely to have an allergic reaction to aloe vera gel. Also, if you have had an allergic reaction to any other product containing aloe vera, it is advisable not to use it on your hair.
If you’ve never used aloe vera before and aren’t sure if you’re allergic, do a patch test by applying a small amount to the inside of your wrist. Wait for 12- 24 hours to see if you experience any reaction before applying aloe vera to your hair.
Furthermore, it’s important to talk to your doctor before using aloe vera as a treatment for your hair. Aloe vera may interact with certain medications and can cause adverse side effects in pregnant or nursing women.
Does aloe vera thicken hair?
Yes, it does. Aloe vera is a thickening agent that absorbs into the hair shaft and adds moisture and thickness to your hair. It’s also a great natural remedy for brittle, damaged hair.
Should you drink aloe vera gel?
No, you shouldn’t. You should not consume any form of aloe vera unless prescribed by your doctor. If you drink large amounts of aloe vera gel over a long period, it may cause problems with your kidneys and heart function.
How can you get pure aloe vera gel?
All you need to do is break off an aloe vera leaf, cut it lengthwise and scoop out the gel. You can also buy pure aloe vera gel from health skincare stores or online if you don’t have access to fresh aloe vera plants.
Aloe vera has many benefits for your hair; it promotes hair growth, prevents itching, reduces dandruff, and detangles your hair. It’s also a great conditioner and can help keep your hair smooth and shiny by protecting it from sun damage.
The best thing about aloe vera, however, is that it works well on all hair types, so anyone can use it. Also, if you are not a fan of commercial hair products, aloe vera will help you achieve your hair goals without spending too much money.
Thanks for reading.
Visit Africana Fashion to learn more about the benefits of aloe vera and other natural remedies.