Vans have established its brand as a timeless slip-on shoe that comes in a wide range of colors and sizes. As a result of their widespread popularity, it is not surprising that everyone wonders if Vans footwear is always safe to wear and slip-resistant.
Therefore, this article will assist you in learning more about this if you’re looking to buy a pair of Vans shoes but are unsure if they are nonslip and are concerned you might fall.
Furthermore, it will also give you pointers on how to make your Vans slip-resistant.
What are slip-resistant shoes?
Shoes with rubber soles and tread designs that better grip oily or slippery floors are considered slip-resistant shoes.
However, some slip-resistant footwears are better than others.
Are Vans shoes slip-resistant?
Yes, they are.
According to Vans, the vulcanized rubber outsole and the rhomboid pattern design makes the shoes nonslip.
Vans are well-liked footwear for skateboarders and people who stand all day in slick conditions, so the outsole is made to be slip-resistant.
Why is Vans slip-resistant?
1. High-quality rubber
Vans uses high-quality rubber, which is the perfect material for preventing slipping. In the vulcanizing process, it is heated to cure it, toughening it but leaving the slightly gooey texture that makes the shoes stick to the ground.
2. The use of sulfur
Sulfur is added to the rubber mixture before vulcanization, making the rubber even tougher. The soles are then compressed to produce the recognizable “waffle” style sole, which combines rhomboid and diamond patterning.
3. Good sole groove pattern
Vans’ slip resistance is increased by the pattern itself, as the grooves improve the shoe’s traction on the ground. A sole with grooves performs much better than one without because they increase traction while walking.
By allowing liquids to drip down the grooved design, the outsole pattern is created to assist in the removal of water and oils from the outsole. Vans are perfect shoes to wear on even water surfaces due to this pattern.
4. Strong midsole traction
Because it is made of three layers of foxing tape rubber, the midsole increases the amount of traction. When walking, climbing stairs, skating, or even running, a gummy, rubbery midsole improves grip.
Are all Vans shoe slip-resistant?
No, not all Vans shoes are nonslip.
The distinctive non-slip tread pattern found on all vintage Vans models is exclusive to some shoes and not all.
How to make Vans slip-resistant
If you work shifts or skate, you need slip resistance on your shoes more than anyone else.
As a result, if you work or run/skate in your Vans on slick surfaces, you should take some of the following precautions.
- Get a slip-on sole. Your Vans bottoms can be upgraded with a slip-on sole designed to provide maximum traction. It is an excellent item to use if you are wiping down tiles or skating on wet surfaces.
- Scratch them. A fantastic way to add grit and break in brand-new Vans soles for nonslip purposes is to scratch them. The simplest method is to take them outside and brush them against a brick wall. As an alternative, you can accomplish this using sandpaper.
- Slip-resistant sprays. Your Vans shoe’s grip is greatly improved by these sprays; they give shoe soles an adhesive coating. However, pick one made for rubber soles. The traction-boosting spray should be weather-resistant and long-lasting. It shouldn’t wash off easily in the rain.
- Use ice grips. Put ice grips on the outsoles of your Vans if you intend to wear them in icy conditions. By making punctures in the ice as you move, ice grips will stop you from sliding and skidding across the top. In the winter, ice and snow grips are a great addition to shoes.
- Use anti-slip pads. Your Vans soles can also be fitted with anti-slip pads. If you need more grip on your Vans to handle spills or liquids, non-slip pads are a good choice, especially if you work at a restaurant. They also work well on wet floors. So if you are on cleanup duty, you are safe.
Can you prevent your Vans from slipping?
Yes, you can.
As soon as you start wearing your Vans shoes outside, use this technique below to avoid slipping. Take a tiny bit of petroleum jelly, and rub it where the shoe is most likely to hurt, at the back of your heel.
How do you know your Vans is slip-resistant?
On the bottom of the outsole, you’ll usually find squiggles, circles, or hexagons.
This is done to create friction, which aids in gripping the floor without collecting water beneath. The better the slip resistance, the smaller the pattern.
Can you wear a slip-on Vans to work?
Yes, but make sure it fits with your office’s dress code.
Also, if you want to wear a slip-on, choose one with a single solid color, such as solid black or navy blue.
Are Old Skool Vans slip-resistant?
No, they are not. Although these shoes are fashionable and cozy, they are not slip-resistant.
Can you wear slip-on Vans for business casual?
Yes, you can if it is allowed at your workplace.
Vans DX Slip-On will be the secret weapon of your business attire. They look great with every work outfit in your closet and offer a blend of modern and professional styles in addition to being incredibly comfortable.
While the Vans company has given certification to the fact that they do make their shoes slip-resistant, keep in mind that not all of them are. Some Vans shoes are not slip-resistant or do not have sufficient vulcanizing to be nonslip.
Therefore, if you are going to buy a Vans, make sure it is completely nonslip, especially if you work in an environment where there is a lot of water or cleaning.
Thanks for reading.
If you have enjoyed reading this article, check out Africana Fashion for more.