One of the major facial steaming benefits is to give the skin a radiant look and provide it with the nourishment needed to keep it firm and ageless. Both males and females use this beauty therapy.
Although this technique has a lot of benefits to the skin, you may hurt yourself if you don’t take precautions while doing a facial steam.
Would you like to know more about facial steaming benefits and their precautions?
Benefits of Facial Steaming
1. It Aids Blood Circulation
Facial steaming helps increase blood flow to the face. This will provide it with enough oxygen and give it a long-lasting glow.
Blood circulation to the face also provides the skin with more nourishment it needs to look younger and prevent or reduce wrinkles.
2. It Helps to Cleanse the Skin
The heat from the steam helps open up the pores of the skin and easily let out the build-up of dirt and sebum. Also, you can easily remove blackheads after steaming because the pores are now open.
3. It Aids Better Absorption of Skincare Products
Because the skin is open due to steaming, it is easy for it to be cleaned, and it is also easy for your skin to absorb skincare products. For better results of your facial oils and cream, you should apply them after steaming.
4. It Hydrates the Skin
Facial steaming helps moisturize the face by increasing oil production in the skin. This will help your skin create a balance, preventing your skin from being too dry or oily.
5. It Helps Prevent Blackhead
Facial steaming can help you get rid of blackheads and also prevent them from developing again. This is useful if you’re struggling to get rid of blackheads or may be trying to prevent them from coming back.
6. It Helps Prevent Acne
Steaming can help reduce acne, which develops after the build-up of dead skin cells and bacteria by opening the pores and allowing easy removal of the dirt. It works by opening up clogged pores and allowing the dirt trapped inside to come out.
7. It Helps to Produce Collagen and Elastin
Steaming the face helps blood to circulate well to the skin, which improves the development of collagen and elastin. Collagen and elastin are both found in the skin and help to keep the skin firm and smooth.
8 It’s Refreshing
Facial steam therapy gives the feeling of relaxation and refreshment after each session, especially if you add herbs and oils that provide this effect. You can easily enjoy this aromatic effect in the comfort of your home.
9. It Helps With Nasal and Sinus Difficulties
Facial steaming helps relieve the sinus difficulties by moisturizing the sinuses and providing a soothing effect that makes breathing easier. The addition of essential oils like eucalyptus oil helps to achieve this.
10. You Can Do It Yourself
Unlike some other beauty treatments, facial steaming is easy to do at home. This means you don’t have to go to a spa or pay to have a session. You can learn how to do it yourself at home and enjoy the benefits.
How to Do Facial Steaming at Home
1. Steaming with bowl and hot water
This method makes use of hot water in a bowl mixed with any herb or oil of your choosing and a large towel.
- Boil about 4 to 5 cups of water (the quantity of water to boil depends on the size of bowl you’re using).
- If you’re making use of herbs, add them to the water before it starts to boil.
- After it boils, pour inside the bowl and allow to sit for a minute.
- If you’re making use of essential oils, you can add them to the water while it sits.
- Grab your towel and sit comfortably in front of the water, then bend your head over the bowl and cover using the towel.
- Hold your head about 5 to 6 inches above the bowl and ensure you raise your head when you feel the heat too much on your face.
- For effective results, you can steam your face using this method for 7 to 10 minutes while taking breaks at intervals.
2. Steaming with a facial steamer
This method makes use of the home facial steamer. You can use this method following the steps below:
- Read the manual to know the quantity of water to use and how long you can use it per session.
- Pour the required quantity of water inside.
- Place the steamer close to a suitable outlet and plug it in.
- Sit comfortably in front of the steamer and be sure you’re about 6 to 8 inches away from the steamer.
- Then enjoy your facial steam while you keep in mind too much exposure to heat causes more damage.
- Also, for effective results, you can steam your face using this method for 7 to 10 minutes while taking breaks at intervals.
3. Steaming with a warm towel
This method is the easiest method to get facial steaming benefits at home. You will be making use of a hand towel and hot water. Here are the steps:
- Just like the towel and hot water method, boil the quantity of water you’ll need.
- Add the herbs while boiling the water or essential oil after boiling.
- Then you soak the neat hand towel in the water and squeeze.
- Sit comfortably and place the towel on your face.
- When the towel is no longer warm repeat the process for 10 minutes.
How to Prepare for Facial Steaming
- Start by cleaning your face thoroughly, removing make-up and any cosmetic on the face. You should also clean your face before steaming even if you don’t have make-up on.
- Get a comfortable position, a clean towel, a bowl, and distilled water.
- If you’re making use of a home facial steamer, ensure it is thoroughly cleaned to prevent contamination of the water.
- Moisturize your skin after cleansing but before steaming to enhance the hydration of the skin for a longer period after the session.
How to Get the Best Result After Facial Steaming
Because the pores are opened and both dead skin and dirt are loosened up allowing them to be removed easily. That makes it better to exfoliate the skin after steaming. This will help give a better result after steaming.
Ensure you exfoliate gently to prevent causing irritation and over scrubbing. Instead of using rough sugar to exfoliate, you can use less harsh exfoliators like oat and water paste immediately after steaming.
2. Use a face mask
A face mask is best applied after facial steam because the skin is very receptive to whatever you introduce to it in that state. Ensure you use a face mask suitable for your type of skin. Applying a face mask after steaming the face is completely optional.
3. Apply a toner
Face toners can help balance the pH of the skin; therefore, they can be applied after facial steam to give the best result.
It is important to note that not every skin type reacts well to face toners, so ensure that you’re using the right toner for your skin, and you should avoid it if you don’t react well to it. This process is also optional and can be skipped by choice.
4. Apply a moisturizer
Apply a moisturizer immediately after steaming the face. You can start by applying a good serum to the skin and then the moisturizer.
If you don’t use serum, you can go ahead and apply the moisturizer directly. This is step is very important after facial steam and shouldn’t be skipped.
Can a person undergo facial steaming everyday?
No, you can’t. Steaming the face every day is bad for the skin. Facial steaming can be beneficial when you do it occasionally, not every day. Steaming the face every day exposes the skin to more harm than good.
Heat will keep the pores open and the skin will have no time to rejuvenate or achieve the benefits of steaming.
How often can the face be steamed?
The recommended number of times to steam the face is twice a week with at least 4 days intervals before the next session. Each session should not last more than 10 minutes and ensure you take breaks in between.
Is it bad to exfoliate before steaming the face?
Yes, it is. It’s best to exfoliate after a facial steaming session to get the best result. Exfoliation helps get rid of dead skin and debris trapped in the pore of the skin, and facial steaming enhances their removal.
Facial steaming is beneficial to the skin in so many ways, especially when you do it properly. From feeling refreshed to looking more radiant, you can agree facial steaming is an important skin therapy.
If you’re considering giving it a try for the first time, try a spa or see a dermatologist for a better understanding of your skin.
When doing facial steam at home, ensure you take the necessary precautions to prevent burning your skin or damaging it while trying to make it look better.
I hope this article has been helpful. Thanks for reading.
Read more beauty tips on Africana Fashion.