If you have been checking your Instagram feed regularly, you must have noticed this buzzy new trend of magnetic eyelashes. However, several questions must be running through your mind like: is it worth the hype? How do magnetic eyelashes work? And so on.
Magnetic eyelashes work by interjecting your natural lash in the middle of two fake lashes with magnetic lines. This helps to hold them in place just as glue normally would.
However, if you are familiar with the traditional eyelash extension, you already understand the hassle of getting them on. Is it the mess adhesive causes during application? Or the stress of getting them off? Let’s not even mention the fact that having a pile of it is not cost-effective.
The good news is: you can now kiss your sticky glue goodbye. It is time to embrace magnetic eyelashes. All the questions you have concerning how magnetic eyelashes work will be answered in this article. Keep reading as I reveal the benefits of using a magnetic eyelash extension.
What Are Magnetic Eyelash Extensions?
Magnetic lashes are fake eyelash extensions that stick to your natural eyelashes without the use of glue and they come in two categories. Magnetic lashes stick either by using magnetic lash strips clenched together, or magnetic eyeliner painted across your lid to hold the eyelash extension.
However, magnetic eyeliner lashes look like your classic traditional fake eyelashes, but it uses a magnetic eyeliner to make the lashes stick, instead of using glue to adhere them. This kind of eyeliner is replenished with iron oxides and it works as a paint-on magnet.
Magnetic eyeliner and eyelashes keep trending increasingly as the alternative to traditional fake lashes and the main reason for this being that they contain small magnets to help the products stick to your natural lashes without the use of sticky and messy glue.
How Do Magnetic Eyeliner Work?
The “sandwiching” type of magnetic lashes has two pieces of eyelashes with magnet straps on each base. With this, place one above your lashes and the other piece below your lashes. The two pieces will cling together due to their magnetic straps, thereby sandwiching your natural lashes between them.
However, you can choose to neglect the common type of magnetic lashes; which compel you to meticulously sandwich your natural lashes between a double layer of magnet stripes. You can use a magnetic eyeliner for magnetic lashes instead.
To make this radical recent method work, all you need is a pair of magnetic lashes, a magnetic eyeliner, and of course, your hand. Magnetic eyeliner and lashes extension work by utilizing the theory of magnetic force. The magnetic lashes attach to a lash band that has tiny, lightweight, and inconspicuous magnets on it.
Pros and Cons of Magnetic Eyelashes
There is this feeling of excitement that comes with wearing fake lashes that you can’t explain. Perhaps, it is the instant glammed-up look it gives us; that makes us feel ready to conquer the world.
Even though the thought and use of magnetic lashes are fantastic, you should know that there are certain downsides when it comes to the application. There are also downsides when it comes to the application of magnetic eyelashes and magnetic eyeliners.
Here, you will get to know the advantages and disadvantages of using a magnetic eyelash extension and liner. This is to help you in making the right choice when considering them.
Pros of Magnetic Eyelashes
- Magnetic eyelashes do not require the use of glue to apply. This means that application of the lashes won’t be as messy, unlike the ones that you apply with glue.
- These lashes are less expensive than most of the famous lash extension brands.
- You can re-use these eyelashes anytime you want and for as long as you want.
- They are more hygienic and, mind you, they will not require the application of glue, which may lead to infections.
Cons of Magnetic Eyelashes
- They are not made following the shape of the natural lashes. You have to trim them to fit your eyelids; and this will take a lot of time to do. It may even not look as good as the traditional lashes; which are designed with the shape of the natural lashes.
- These lashes are not very stable, you will notice this when you apply them. You will feel as though they will fall off your face any minute.
- You also have to apply them just as they are. This means that you cannot bend these lash extensions, and this makes them look weird when they do not conform with the shape of the eyes.
Precautions to Side Effects of Magnetic Eyelashes
Even though a magnetic eyeliner marketer claims it is safe, there’s still a dire risk for side effects. In the application process, It’s crucial to apply the liner at the lash line so that the product doesn’t get in contact with your eye or block the oil glands in your eyelid.
Furthermore, it’s possible to develop an allergic reaction or to develop an infection if you touch your eyes with dirty hands during the process of applying or removing the magnetic lashes.
Cease using the product if you develop an irritation or a rash. It’s possible to develop an allergic reaction to magnetic eyelashes. Therefore, you shouldn’t keep up the use of these lashes if you have any sign of irritation or infections in the eye area.
The magnets in these magnetic products can rip your real eyelashes and damage their hair follicles if you apply the lashes incorrectly. To avoid this damage, ensure that you gently peel the magnets apart during the removal process.
Don’t use a magnetic lash while in a moving vehicle to avoid poking your eye accidentally. Also, try to read the manufacturer’s note for instructions before use.
SEE: Best Eye Cream
Is It Safe to Use Magnetic Eyelashes?
Magnetic eyeliners are designed to go hand in hand with magnetic eyelashes as it helps to keep them in place. These magnetic liners come in a liquid form and it is generally considered safe overall.
Magnetic eyelash extensions and magnetic eyeliners are considered safe by cosmetic companies that market them, compared to the glue version of lashes and the regular liquid and pencil liners. However, it might pose a risk to your eyes if you use the product incorrectly, or if your skin is sensitive.
Nevertheless, if you have any existing eye conditions, ensure that you talk to a doctor before using any of these magnetic products.
How to Use Magnetic Eyelashes
You should only use magnetic eyeliner and lashes on clean, dry skin. Also, ensure that you wash your hands properly before you start applying, this is to prevent infections.
Always follow the manufacturer’s note for instructions on how to use, as well as these general steps:
- Apply any other eye cosmetics that you plan to wear(such as eyeshadow) before you use your magnetic lashes and liner.
- Use an eyeliner applicator and gently stroke the product along your lash line.
- Take a pair of magnetic lashes out of the package and place one on each side of your natural lashes.
- Press against either side of your lashes gently, this is to ensure that they lay firmly in place so they won’t fall off and scratch your eyes.
Note: do not ever share your magnetic lashes and liners with others.
How to Safely Remove Magnetic Eyelashes
You must take off your magnetic lashes and eyeliner at the end of the day before you go to bed. Follow the steps below for safe removal of your magnetic lashes:
- Start by separating each side of your lashes away from one another by gently removing it the way you detach two magnets that are stuck together.
- The next step is to soak a cotton swab or cotton ball into an eye makeup remover.
- Now gently use the cotton ball to brush over your eyes to remove the magnetic eyeliner and any other cosmetics.
- After removal, be sure to clean your magnetic eyelashes after each use as this will help to prevent bacterial growth on them. You can make use of alcohol or just basically wash with mild soap and water.
- Air dry your magnetic lashes completely and store them in an airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the easiest way to apply magnetic lashes?
To apply the sandwich kind of magnetic lashes:
- Start by applying mascara on your natural lashes, and when that is dry, place the upper magnetic lash to your natural lash line as close as possible.
- Then, place the bottom magnetic lash underneath your lash line. Do this with your eye open, and wait until it connects with your upper lash.
For magnetic eyeliner lashes:
- Apply the magnetic liner close to your natural lash line and to that of the lashes themselves to help add more hold.
- Let both the liner on your lash line and the magnetic lashes dry.
- Then place the magnetic lash on top of your natural lash.
Do magnetic lashes ruin your natural lashes?
Just like with any other eyelash enhancements, you are liable to lose some of your natural lashes when you remove magnetic lashes. Magnetic lashes can also crack your natural lashes or incite them to grow in the wrong direction.
How do you preserve your magnetic lashes?
The best way to preserve your magnetic lashes for as long as possible is to put them away safely. Follow the instructions below to keep your lashes in a chaste condition:
- Don’t store or keep the lashes away while they are still wet.
- Keep your lashes in the box they came in or in an airtight container. This will prevent them from getting any damage and it will also help to keep them in shape.
- Exposure to the sun can change the color of the lashes, therefore, it is best to store them away from the light of direct sunlight.
- Store your lashes in a dark place that has only a little moisture levels in the air.
How do you properly clean magnetic eyelashes?
The first thing to do is to clean your hands properly, this is to prevent you from transferring any bacteria onto the lashes. Now start the cleaning process by following the steps below:
- Start by removing your lashes. Do this by pulling slowly from the outer corner of the lash band till they come off. Carefully do this step to avoid wrecking the lashes.
- Soak up a cotton pad or swab with eye makeup and rub it against the magnetic lashes to help dissolve makeup and eyeliner left on the lash.
- Clean the magnets on the lashes as well by removing the eyeliner on them. However, be sure to do this gently to avoid scratching the magnet.
- You must dry them properly after cleaning. Place the lashes on a towel and allow to air dry.
Above all, magnetic eyelashes and eyeliners are assumed to be safe for most people, especially when you compare them to the usual false lashes that require glue. Magnetic lash versions are also easier to use compared to other false lashes.
However, you should always be cautious when using any cosmetics around your eye area. If you develop any sign of an infection or allergic reaction, it is best to contact your doctor immediately.
With this, you can kiss the sticky mess and errors your glue-on traditionally lashes and liquid or pencil eyeliners cause goodbye, and embrace your magnetic eyelashes and treat it with care.
Thanks for reading.
Get more fashion and beauty guides on Africana Fashion to improve your lifestyle.