Cracked heels, also known as heel fissures, typically develop when the layers of skin on your soles rub against each other. For most women, having cracked heels isn’t just painful, it makes the feet look unattractive and makes it difficult to wear stilettos.
Fixing this problem may seem impossible but do not worry. With this article, you’ll learn several tips on how to fix your cracked heels permanently, causes of cracked heels, and how to properly clean your feet at home.
Causes of Cracked Heels
Cracked heels are a common foot ailment that can be caused by many things including dry skin, inadequate moisturizing, standing for a long period of time, and wearing improper shoes. Other factors may include exposure to harsh soaps, diabetes, cold weather, pregnancy, and aging.
Besides increasing the risk of infection, cracked heels can lead to other problems like bad posture, poor circulation, and ulcers. To sum it up, it is important to fix your cracked heels as soon as possible to avoid these problems.
How to Fix Cracked Heels Permanently
There are many ways to fix cracked heels permanently without having to resort to expensive treatments or chemicals. Besides being low-budget, these methods are easy to do and can be done conveniently in the comfort of your home.
Here are some steps on how to fix your cracked heels permanently.
1. Soak and Exfoliate
For healthy, soft heels, it is important to soak your feet in warm water with bath salts for at least 10-15 minutes every day. Doing this will help soften your skin and make it easier to exfoliate, which is essential for removing any calluses or dead skin cells on your heels.
Here are some tips:
- Soak your feet in warm water with Epsom salt for at least 10 minutes.
- Add some essential oils for a spa like experience.
- Use an exfoliating scrub, a loofah sponge, or a pumice stone on your feet to remove dead or hard skin from the surface.
- Rinse your feet with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply foot cream to your feet to hydrate and smooth the skin.
2. Choose the Right Moisturizer
Choosing the right moisturizer can be a struggle, but it is crucial in determining how much relief you will get from your cracked heels. There are so many options out there, including over-the-counter treatments, prescription creams, lotions, gels, ointments – that it can be hard to decide.
Here are some of the most important things you should know when picking the right moisturizer for your feet and what you should look for in a great one.
- Check the label: If the ingredients list says it includes glycerine, this is a good sign that it will be moisturizing enough to suit your needs.
- Try before you buy: Make sure you try out different types of moisturizers to see which one suits you best.
- Road test: After applying a small amount of lotion, walk around for a while and see if it leaves any residue on your shoe
3. Use a Liquid Bandage
Liquid bandages are designed to fill in the space where the skin has been torn or scraped, which helps protect your heel cracks from outside contaminants. It also leaves behind a protective barrier that will keep your skin moist and healthy all day long.
To apply a liquid bandage:
- Clean your feet with soap and water thoroughly.
- Apply a liquid bandage to your heels to seal the crack and prevent infections.
- Put on new cotton socks.
- Repeat application every 12 hours until healing is complete.
4. Wear Moisturizing Socks
What are moisturizing socks? For starters, these socks are designed to keep your feet cool and dry while also providing additional moisture. In other words, moisturizing socks work by depositing ingredients like vitamin E and shea butter to soothe your heels while absorbing sweat from your feet.
They are often made from natural materials such as cotton or wool, making them perfect for people with dry, cracked heels. The best part about these socks, they’re reusable and washable. You can even buy them in bulk, so you always have some on hand.
5. Use Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is a natural, plant-based product that has been used for thousands of years to treat skin problems. This gel contains nutrients like vitamins A, C, B complex, and amino acids, which work together to soothe and heal the skin as well as promote circulation.
Aloe vera gel also contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties along with minerals that can help heal and hydrate cracked heels.
Here’s how to use Aloe vera gel on your heels:
- Cut a fresh aloe leaf from a fresh aloe vera plant.
- Scoop out the gel from the leaf into a smal container.
- Apply a generous amount of the gel to your heels.
- Leave to dry and put on a pair of socks to seal in moisture.
6. Try a Vinegar Foot Soak
A foot soak with vinegar can soften skin and remove dead skin cells, which is why it’s so popular in spas for pedicures. It is also a great way to relax your feet and leave them feeling rejuvenated and refreshed.
In addition, vinegar has antifungal properties that help fight the bacteria that cause foot odor leaving your feet smelling fresh and nice.
Here are some tips to make your own vinegar foot soak at home:
- Fill a bowl with 1 cup of vinegar and 2 cups of lukewarm water.
- Soak your feet in it for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove your feet from the bowl and scrub your heels with a pumice stone.
- Rinse your feet with warm water and pat with a dry towel.
7. Use a Honey and Sugar Scrub
Aside from just hydrating your feet with lotion or cream, you can also use some sugar, honey, and olive oil to create a homemade foot scrub that will leave your feet feeling more hydrated and smooth.
To do this:
- Take half a cup of brown or white sugar.
- Add 2 tbsp of honey and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture on your feet (making sure to put a generous amount on your heels).
- Scrub thoroughly and rinse off with warm water.
It is important to do this once every few days to have healthy, moisturized heels.
8. Wear Fitted Shoes
The wrong shoe can lead to ingrown toenails, corns, and cracked heels. It can also lead to poor posture and wrong foot mechanics.
Wearing fitting shoes doesn’t just protect your feet from these ailments; it also maximizes comfort and performance. Moreover, wearing the right fit will improve your stride frequency, balance, and step length.
Here are some tips for finding the perfect shoe:
- Go to a shoe store and try on different options.
- Make sure that you don’t just try on one pair of shoes, but try on at least three pairs to find the perfect fit.
- Ask the sales associate for recommendations.
- Make sure you have enough room and space for your toes.
- Don’t buy shoes that hurt your feet, even if they are super trendy or cheap.
9. Increase Your Water Intake
A cracked heel has many causes, including dehydration. People who drink enough water have healthier feet because it helps flush out toxins from the system while hydrating the feet from the inside out.
Besides drinking more water, you should also eat foods that contain omega fatty acids, vitamin C, or vitamin D. These ingredients will provide the much-needed moisture to your skin and keep those pesky cracked heels away.
10. Stick to a Foot Care Routine
Sticking to a foot care routine will help you maintain healthy skin on your feet, so you’ll feel better and be able to go about your day-to-day life without discomfort. It will also help you avoid serious health problems associated with poor foot hygiene.
You can create a foot care routine by giving your feet a good soak in a warm bathtub with Epsom salts, scrubbing them clean using a pumice stone or scrub brush, massaging the soles of your feet with lotion, and applying an ointment or cream.
You can also use some soothing essential oils that will help with pain and inflammation, as well as promote healing.
11. Moisturize with Shea butter
Using shea butter is one of the most suitable ways to moisturize your feet and fix cracked heels. It is also a natural and effective way to rejuvenate your heels and keep them smooth, supple, and healthy.
In addition to nourishing the skin, it also contains all-natural ingredients such as vitamins A, E, and F, which help protect against free radicals which can damage skin cells.
Here are some important tips to apply shea butter:
- Wash and dry your feet thoroughly to remove any dead skin cells.
- Apply a generous amount of Shea butter on the entire area of the foot from heel to toe.
- Put on a cotton sock or other cotton fabric to lock in the moisture.
- Repeat every day for healthy moisturized feet.
12. Keep Your Feet Clean
It is vital to keep your feet clean at all times to prevent infection, fix cracked heels, and get rid of calluses. If you’re wondering how to do that, here are some tips to keep your feet clean and healthy.
- Wash your feet with soap and water twice a day.
- Brush your toes with an anti-fungal nail brush.
- Keep your toenails trimmed.
- Use foot powder or lotion to keep your feet dry and protect them from cracking.
- Wear socks and choose shoes that are right for the environment
13. See a Professional
If you’ve been trying to fix your cracked heels with these home remedies and you’re still experiencing pain or discomfort, it’s best to get them checked out by a podiatrist.
Although cracked heels might not look like anything serious, they can develop into something more serious and even lead to infections. A podiatrist will assess the severity of your condition and recommend appropriate treatments to fix your cracked heels permanently.
Symptoms of Cracked Heels
- Dull flaky skin
- Redness and irritation
- Foot pain
- Bleeding from the cracks
- Brown or yellow discoloration of the heel
Can Vaseline heal cracked heels?
Yes, it can. Vaseline works by providing a protective barrier against moisture loss to allow your skin to stay moisturized. It also locks in the moisture needed for your heels to repair themselves, speeding up your healing process.
How can I heal my cracked heels overnight?
Start by soaking your feet in warm water for 10-15 minutes before bedtime. Next, exfoliate with a pumice stone or loofah sponge and pat your feet dry. Apply a foot cream and put on cotton socks to seal in the moisture while you sleep.
What are the benefits of wearing fitted shoes?
Wearing shoes that fit can help prevent feet calluses, blisters, and cracked heels. Second, they can provide better arch support because they are designed specifically for your foot shape. And finally, they can prevent you from sliding forward in your shoe when you walk or run.
Cracked heels are just the worst. It is a sensation that many of us, unfortunately, can relate to because whether you’re in flats, stilettos, or walking barefoot, it’s just uncomfortable.
Healing cracked heels is important because not only will it make your feet look good, it could also make you feel better about yourself, prevent cuts and infections on your feet.
From soaking and exfoliating your feet to seeing a podiatrist for a professional opinion, these tips are guaranteed to fix your cracked heels permanently so you don’t have to worry about those pesky puckers anymore.
Thanks for reading.
Africana fashion provides you with wellness articles to make you feel better and improve your lifestyle.