A good and arranged tousle, whether natural or not, creates a bouncy and youthful look. Even though you want to curl your chemically straightened hair or want to define your natural curls, there are various methods to get curly hair.
Most times getting the defined curls you want includes sitting at the salon or under a dryer for what seems like eons. This could get tiresome. Also, there are the hot styling tools you have to think about.
Sure, there are ways to safely use the hot tools. However, you would want to find a way to do without them. If you are looking for a way, don’t worry, I got you covered.
Plus, you can get the curly hair you want in the comfort of your home. And as a bonus, you won’t need to use hot tools to get it. You can get the complement of how pretty your curls are with these easy hacks.
Hacks on How to Get Curly Hair
How you care for your curls or fight them would determine the outcome of your hair. If you are determined to get the curls defined, you need to realize some products and tools will be thrown out, while some would be welcomed.
If you have straight or chemically straightened hair, you can also get your curly hair using these helpful hacks.
This is a famous style of getting your hair curled up with ease. You can use straw, perm, hard, or foam rollers to curl your hair naturally. Additionally, you don’t have to use heat to get the style in place.
You also wouldn’t need to look too far with your material, everything is right within your reach. And it wouldn’t damage your hair. You’ll need a set of rollers (in any size of your choice), a gel or mousse, and a wide-tooth comb.
- Wet your hair either by washing and conditioning or co-washing it.
- Remove all tangles and knots in your hair.
- You can apply moisturizing products of your choice to get your hair hydrated.
- Apply a styling gel or mousse to help hold the curl.
- Section your hair in small pieces.
- Start rolling the sectioned hair from the ends to the roots, paying attention to your scalp.
- Secure the roller with a bobby pin if it is necessary.
- Let the rollers sit horizontally on your head.
- Leave the rollers in until your hair is completely dry. You can leave the roller in overnight.
- Remove the roller when dry. You would have full wavy and curly hair based on the size of rollers you used.
- Style as you want (do not use a brush, use your fingers and a pick comb instead).
- Finish up with hairspray.
2. Bantu Knots
Bantu knot is another great option on how to get curly hair without using heat. The Bantu knots or ponytail knots are stylish. And the best part is you can wear your knots for a while before releasing them into a curl-fection.
- Comb out the tangles and knots in your hair.
- Apply styling cream or products.
- Section it into small, medium, or big sizes (this is based on how wavy you want your knots to be).
- Secure your sectioned hair with an elastic band.
- Split the section into two.
- Twist the hair tightly from root to end.
- Then you wrap one base around and secure it with a pin.
- Then you follow up with the second base, wrapping it around the first base. Secure with a pin.
- Do this for all the sections of your hair.
- The knot is to have a rounded shape.
- Leave it in for as long as you like.
- When you are ready, take out the knots and style your new curls.
3. Braided Knots
This is slightly different from the Bantu knots. Instead of breaking your hair into two bases, you would be braiding the sections. It’s simple and effective. Moreover, you get to have fuller and tighter curls.
- Detangle your hair.
- Section it depending on how tight you want your curls to be.
- Secure each section with a band or hair tie.
- Twist out each section.
- Roll into a bun and secure with bobby pins.
- Release the bun whenever you are ready.
- Style your hair however you want.
4. Sea Salt Spray
You can enhance your curls with a good sea salt spray. This is a less rigorous exercise than the knots and rollers. However, it gives a temporary bounce to your curls.
Moreover, the sea salt spray helps to create volume in your hair by lifting it. If you want wild beach waves or to enhance your natural curls more, use the salt spray. To get the best results, spritz the sea salt spray on damp hair and use your fingers to lift the curls.
Read Also: Hair Hack: How to Straighten Curly Hair Without Frizz + Guide
5. Use Curl Enhancing Products
Curl enhancing products like Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Curl Shaping Cream Gel can give your hair the extra curl definition you want. Asides from this, they keep your hairstyles longer, holding your curls out for as long as they can.
However, the styling product you purchase has to be made for your type of hair. Furthermore, use products that would not weigh your curls down. Rather they lift your hair strands.
SEE: Plopping Hair: Learn Everything About the Curly Girl’s Magic
How to Care for Curly Hair
1. Use deep conditioning treatments
Treat your curls to some deep conditioning TLC. This would keep it bouncy and lively. Intense hydration is good for your curls because it protects and boosts them with nutrients.
2. Use hairspray to style
Hairspray is great for curls. It holds the curls in place while styled. It’s best to lightly spray the product over your hair, then use a deep spray for one-time use.
3. Use a diffuser
When you need to use hot tools like a blow dryer, use a diffuser to keep your curl patterns. A diffuser also helps to even your curls out. However, keep in low heat whenever you use it.
4. Wear protective hair wraps
Either it’s with a silk bonnet or scarf, protect your curls before you sleep. They last much longer when the curls are under wraps. Moreover, protecting your hair prevents your hair strands from tangling up.
5. Change to a light crème
Oils and serums are great for keeping your hair smooth and layered, but they won’t protect your curls for long. Switch to milky curl creams to help you sustain the curls.
SEE: How to Make Curls Last Longer: Discover the Secrets to Ever-Bouncy Curls
6. Twist and press curls
This has to do with how you dry your hair after shampooing or wetting it in the shower. Rather than rub and crush your hair, twist and press your hair with a microfiber towel. This would prevent your curls from frizzing and preserve your curls.
All you have to do is take a towel, then gently twist and press your wet hair. This method furthermore brings your curls out, rather than scatter them and making them unruly.
See Also: Grow and Shine Your Hair With Top-Rated Hair Serum
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I maintain this curly hair permanently?
No, you can’t. If your hair is chemically straight or of straight texture, you can’t maintain the curls permanently.
Only those with naturally curly hair have permanent curls. However, you can maintain your derived curls by using effective curl protecting hair products.
Does my curly hair affect the length of my hair?
Yes, it does. Although this does not mean it affects hair growth.
The length of your hair is relative to how curly your hair is. For instance, type 4C hair has the most coil, and this is correlative to hair shrinking.
Therefore, the more curly your hair, the more shrunk it gets. Curly hair shrinks in length. That’s why when straightened, they become long.
Can I use hot tools to get curly hair?
Yes, you can. Using hot tools is the fastest way to get curly hair.
You can use curling or straight iron to curl your hair into any pattern you want. Also, the hot tools help to keep your curls in place.
However, hot tools are known to damage your hair, especially when used wrong. That’s why some prefer safe methods without the use of hot tools to get their curly hair.
It’s not every time you want straight hair. You would like some waves and curls falling out once in a while. When you do, you would want a hack on how to get curly hair.
Plus, getting the curls without the use of hot tools is safe and protects your hair. Although the process may be tasking, you would enjoy the end result.
However, you also have to keep in mind that not all curls last for long if they are not natural. You need to keep the curls intact by continued styling and using curl-enhancing products.
So, if you love curls, these simple hair hacks on how to get curly hair would give you a quick fix.
Africana Fashion provides relevant hair care articles to suit your curious minds. Thanks for reading.