We all want radiant, shiny skin, don’t we? Exfoliating our bodies is one way to get us the glowing, smooth skin we desire. This article offers a guide on how to exfoliate the various parts of the body.
Exfoliating is the process of removing dead skin flakes from the body to give room for new ones. Exfoliating not only improves the look of your skin but also the way it feels. Correctly engaging in a routine would make your pop skin shiny and soft.
Here is a guide on how to exfoliate different parts of the body.
1. How to Exfoliate The Face
Be gentle when trying to exfoliate the face because it is the most sensitive skin on the body. Your body may not react to some products the way your face reacts to them, because they work more aggressively in the face.
There are several methods and products you can use to exfoliate your face, here are a few you can try depending on your skin type,
Use an Exfoliant
- Wash your face gently with a cleanser and warm water.
- Use a small amount of Exfoliants to gently exfoliate your face by rubbing it in a circular motion.
- After rubbing for about 30 seconds, wash your face with warm water to rinse it off.
- Then apply your facial cream or moisturizer.
Use Natural DIY Face Scrub to Exfoliate The Face
Exfoliating your face with a facial scrub offers the skin a chance to smoother skin. It improves the circulation of blood, as well as unclogs pores to prevent breakouts on the face. This aids faster absorption of face product for effective use.
While trying to make a DIY face scrub, avoid using sugar, nutshells, and coffee. These ingredients are too harsh for facial skin. Using them may cause irritation, swelling, and breakout on your face.
You should ensure that your exfoliator contains cinnamon or grounds and ground rice. It helps prevent irritation on your facial skin.
Use Honey and Oat DIY scrub
Honey is a very effective ingredient as it is both a natural exfoliant and moisturizer.
To make this scrub, you will need ¼ cup of plain ground oat, ⅛ cup of raw honey, and ⅛ cup of either coconut or olive oil.
- Blend out in a grinder or blender.
- One morning in the microwave for an easy mixture.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply to the skin in a circular motion for up to 1 minute.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- You can keep the remaining scrub in an airtight container, and store it in a cool place.
Banana and Oatmeal Scrub
This scrub uses a banana as a base instead of oil because banana contains vitamin C and potassium, which are important nutrients for the skin. It contains silica, which is a mineral element that helps to boost collagen production in the skin.
This scrub is most suitable for oily skin. Ingredients needed to make this scrub are one ripe banana, two tablespoons of ground oat, and one tablespoon of plain yogurt.
How to make and use:
- Blend the banana in a grinder.
- Grind the oath in a blender as well till it becomes smooth powder.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply the end result to the skin.
- Rub it on the skin in a circular motion for about a minute.
- Rinse the scrub clean with warm water.
- You can keep the leftover mixture in an airtight container and store it in a cool place.
SEE: The Best Skincare Routine for Combination Skin
2. How to Exfoliate the Pubic Area
People tend to skip talking about exfoliating the pubic areas, but it is important to exfoliate the pubic area to avoid bumps in this area. Naturally, the body sheds off old skin cells to generate new skin cells, and exfoliating helps to speed up this process.
- Scoop a little of your own made scrub or any other suitable scrub into your hand
- Use your hand or soft wash clothes to gently rub them on the pubic area
- Allow exfoliator to sit on the skin for about 3 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Note: Scrubbing the pubic area aggressively can leave your skin red and sore. The skin on this area is naturally sensitive.
How to Make DIY Scrub for the Pubic Area
A gentle brown sugar exfoliant is best for public areas. Here are the things you need to make a DIY scrub for this purpose: brown sugar, coconut or olive oil, and either peppermint or lavender oil.
- Mix one cup of brown sugar with ½ cup of either coconut or olive oil.
- Add peppermint or lavender oil to the mixture and blend very well.
- Store scrub in an airtight container for about a month.
3. How to Exfoliate the Scalp
The scalp needs to be exfoliated because exfoliation helps remove dead cells from hair follicles that cause dandruff. It also helps to maintain the air by stimulating the circulation of blood in hair follicles.
- Put the air to create target points spots.
- Gently rub the exponent on these spots with your finger.
- Rinse it off and repeat the process.
4. How to Exfoliate The Lips
Exfoliating the lips is very easy to do, in fact, the easiest of all exfoliation processes. Simply apply a lip scrub on your lips and gently massage it in.
Ensure to exfoliate your lips during winter periods to remove dead flakes from your lips. But, be careful not to irritate chapped lips by scrubbing aggressively.
Natural DIY Lip Scrub Recipe
Not only does the use of lip scrub improve the appearance of the lips, but it also helps to make the lips feel soft. It removes chapped and dead skin from the lips. You can try making these lip scrub recipes at home to restore smoothness to your lips.
Honey and Sugar Lip Scrub
Honey is a natural exfoliant, and it is also a good moisturizer, and this is the key ingredient in this recipe.
Ingredients needed to make this scrub: honey, sugar, and a few drops of either lavender or peppermint oil.
- Mix raw honey with brown sugar
- Add a few drops of peppermint or lavender essential oil to the mixture
- Ensure to mix it properly, then apply the scrub on your lips
- Rub it in circular motions for about 3 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water and apply lip balm to moisturize lips.
SEE: Best Lip Scrub to Brighten and Pink Your Lips
DIY Kiwi Strawberry Lips Scrub
To make this lip scrub, you will need 1 strawberry, ½ kiwi, 5 tablespoons of sugar, and 2 tablespoons of essential oil.
- Grind your strawberry and kiwi in a blender
- Pour out the puréed mix
- Add sugar and coconut oil to the mixture, then stir very well
- Apply vitamin E for nourishment
- Place the scrub to the lips for about 60 seconds
- Rub in a circular motion and then allow the sugar to exfoliate the lips
- Rinse with warm water
5. How to Exfoliate the Body Based on Skin Type
It is important to find out the right technique or method to use for exfoliating your skin type. This is to reduce the risk of irritation of the skin to achieve the best possible results.
If the skin stings or gets irritated when using new products, then it’s safe to say that you have sensitive skin. For exfoliation of sensitive skin, BHAs are the best exfoliating chemicals to consider. They are less irritating than other exfoliants.
Dry skin is flaky and rough. If this is your skin type, then it is recommended to use AHAs such as glycolic acid for exfoliation. Glycolic acid helps break through the layer on the surface of the skin, making it easy for new skin cells to be hydrated by the moisturizer.
Oily skin is shiny, and it feels greasy. If your skin is oily, then you will be able to use stronger chemical and physical exfoliation. DIY Scrub is also a good option to consider.
If you have clear skin and don’t get easily irritated, then you can try out any exfoliating method or product without fear of irritation. You can pick any exfoliant of your choice to help remove dead skin cells from your body.
Note: if your skin is prone to acne or any other form of breakouts, look for products containing retinoids and AHAs like glycolic acid.
Seek emergency medical attention if you experience severe allergic reactions like
- Shortage/Loss of breath
- Facial swelling
- Chest pain
SEE: How to Stop Oily Skin: 13 Simple Steps to Make Your Skin Less Slippery
A Guide on How to Exfoliate The Body Mechanically
This process requires you to scrub the body manually. It is also known as physical exfoliation. Cleansers, scrubs, body brushes, loofahs, and so on are all physical exfoliants used for this method.
This method can in fact be done in the comfort of your home with a DIY scrub. Although, if the process is done incorrectly, your skin can get irritated.
Below are ways to exfoliate the body with scrub:
1. Take a Shower
Bathing with warm or hot water will help open up your pores and make your skin open to a deep cleanse. Use a perfume-free body detergent to bathe, and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes on the skin, and use your hands to rub away dead skin cells off your skin.
This process works for the feet, toes, and heels.
2. Use Sponge or Bristle Brush to Scrub and Exfoliate the Body
Doing this will help remove skin flakes from the skin, thereby leaving the skin looking smooth and clean. Simply lather your sponge with soap or body wash to remove the dead skin.
You can also make use of an exfoliating brush that is a bristle brush to remove layers of dead skin cells from your body.
3. Using Bathing Glove to Scrub and Exfoliate the Body
If you do not find a spawned or bristle brush suitable for your skin, you can simply use a glove to exfoliate by slathering it with soap or body wash.
4. Exfoliating Scrub
This scrub can be applied to the skin directly, and it should be done gently. It is best to wash it off with warm water.
A Guide on How to Exfoliate The Body Chemically
This method requires the use of chemicals to remove dead skin cells from your body. This will also renew the skin with new skin cells. Such chemicals include retinol and hydroxy acid.
Chemical exfoliation can be more effective than physical exfoliation.
But like physical exfoliation, it can also irritate your skin if performed incorrectly. Most of these chemicals are derived from natural sources like fruit, sugar, milk, etc.
This chemical is derived from vitamin A, and it is used to repair damaged skin it helps to soothe sunburn or sun-damaged skin it also helps to treat acne.
2. Hydroxy Acid
This acid helps in treating skin conditions, and it is classified into two:
- Alpha-Hydroxyl Acids (AHAs): This chemical is a water-soluble acid that is made from sugary fruits. This acid helps to fill the surface with the skin, and this helps the skin to generate new and even skin cells.
- Beta-Hydroxy Acids (BHAs): Works best for those with oily skin. This chemical is an oil-soluble acid that is derived from. It helps to treat and clear acne, blackhead, and whitehead.
How Often You Should Exfoliate Your Body
Exfoliating your body every day can cause your body to become dry and irritated. It is best to only exfoliate two to three times weekly for all skin types, except dry skin and sensitive skin. If your skin type falls in those two categories, you might want to exfoliate your body only once a week.
Benefits of Exfoliating the Body
- Exfoliating gives the skin a brighter, smoother, and healthier look and feel.
- It also gives the skin even texture and complexion.
- It prevents acne spots, and blackhead from the face.
- Regular exfoliation helps your skin to absorb moisturizers faster.
SEE: How to Remove That Pesky Acne Scar Starting With These Helpful Hacks
FAQ on How to Exfoliate the Body
Can the same exfoliator be used for the face and body?
No, it can’t. This is not recommended because the skin on the face and the body are different.
The skin on the face is sensitive, thus using a body scrub on the face is a bad idea because body scrubs are thicker compared to facial scrub.
Is it safe to exfoliate my private area?
Yes, it is. But be careful to not use harsh exfoliants in your private area.
It can cause harm to the area of application, so be gentle while applying exfoliants. The skin on private areas is sensitive and easily irritated.
Is it okay to exfoliate my body every day?
No, it isn’t. As mention earlier, exfoliating your body every day can cause your body to become dry and irritated.
Exfoliating your entire body is a good practice. It is one of the secrets to the perfect skin you see on celebrities you love. A way to make your skin stand out, looking so neat and attractive is by regular and proper exfoliation.
Exfoliating your skin must also be done carefully. Using the wrong product on your skin type may damage your skin. Ensure to use the products suitable for your type of skin. This article already covers how to exfoliate every skin type.
The body sheds dead skin cells daily, therefore It is important to exfoliate the skin to get rid of dead skin cells from the body. Also, if you have any skin condition, kindly consult a dermatologist for advice before exfoliating your skin.
Thanks for reading.
Africana Fashion provides you with relevant beauty and wellness articles.