So you tinted your eyebrows, and you’re regretting it already. You look so different from what you saw in that magazine or imagined in your head and now you’re left wondering what to do.
I know that feeling. Eyebrow tinting can be a really fun way to experiment with different looks, but the keyword here is “experiment”. One of the downsides of tinting your eyebrows is that it can be a bit tricky to remove.
It’s not as simple as just wiping off your brows or using soap and water. And, that’s because eyebrow tint is semi-permanent and won’t come off without special products.
Luckily, in this article, we’re going to discuss in detail a few ways to easily remove eyebrow tint at home with ingredients you probably already have in your house. Keep reading to find out.
How to Remove Eyebrow Tint
1. Use a Makeup Remover
One of the best ways to clean up your eyebrow tint and get your brows back to their natural color is to wipe it off with a makeup remover and a cotton pad. This will help to remove excess pigment layers on the skin so you can wash it off easily.
- Remove your eye makeup and take off any other heavy products from your face.
- Gently wipe the makeup remover on your eyebrow area with a cotton pad or cotton swab.
- Continue wiping your brows in circular motions until you are satisfied with the result.
- Lastly, wash off the makeup remover with water or wipe it off with a tissue.
2. Wash With a Clarifying Shampoo
Since eyebrow tinting is just like dying your hair with henna, you can remove it with a clarifying shampoo. Clarifying shampoos work by stripping off the build-up of natural oils and products like eyebrow tint on your face.
To completely remove the tint from your eyebrows, it’s best to add a conditioner rather than just using shampoo.
- Apply shampoo to the eyebrows and then rinse with warm water.
- Apply conditioner to the eyebrows and then rinse with cold water.
- Repeat these steps until the entire eyebrow tint is removed.
3. Use a Face Toner
Another great way to remove eyebrow tint is to use a face toner. Face toner is an over-the-counter (OTC) product that is made with ingredients like witch hazel or alcohol that can be used to remove any stain on the skin.
- Cleanse your face and dry it thoroughly.
- Apply the face toner to your eyebrows and allow it to dry for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tint by applying a cotton pad soaked in water on top of the toned area, and then scrub for about 30 seconds.
- Wipe off gently with tissue paper until you’ve removed all color from your skin and brows.
4. Lemon Juice to the Rescue
Lemon juice is great for stripping dye from hair. It’s also a natural way to lighten your brows and remove tints without having to use harmful chemicals.
- Pour a little amount of lemon juice into a cup or bowl.
- Using a cotton swab or cotton ball, apply the juice to your brows and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off gently with warm water and use a damp cloth to wipe off any excess liquid.
- Let dry for 10 minutes before applying makeup as usual.
5. Apply a Baking Soda Paste
It’s no more news that you can use baking soda paste for almost anything. But, did you know you can also use baking soda paste to remove eyebrow tint?
To do this, you just need a little baking soda powder from your kitchen cabinet, a washcloth, a cotton ball, a paper towel, a small container, and a mirror.
- Pour the baking soda into a small container.
- Mix the baking soda with water until you have a thick paste.
- Add more or less baking soda depending on how much you want your tints to come out.
- Apply the mixture to your eyebrows with a cotton ball.
- Leave on for about 10 minutes then wipe off with a washcloth, or even paper towels.
- Rinse with cold water and pat dry using a paper towel.
Don’t forget to also use this trick if you want to remove hair dye from your eyebrows too.
6. Try a Brow Gel
You can also use an eyebrow gel, to make eyebrow tint come off easier. Brow gels are made to be tacky enough that they help remove any remaining residue from your eyebrows when you’ve finished applying them. They also help to create a more natural-looking eyebrow without the use of pencil or powder.
- Choose a brow gel that is one or two shades lighter than your tint color.
- Put the brow gel onto a wand or a mascara brush.
- Brush the gel onto your eyebrows with short strokes, starting at the front of your brow, brushing up and out towards the end of your brow.
- Use a tissue or paper towel to wipe off any excess brow gel from your skin or face.
7. Try Rubbing Alcohol
One of the most common ways to remove eyebrow tint is by applying rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is a liquid that has the property of dissolving other substances and it can be used to remove all kinds of stains, including brow and lip tint.
- Pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol into a container.
- Dip a cotton ball in it and gently rub it over your eyebrows.
- Continue rubbing in circular motions until you’ve removed all the tint.
- Wash off with soap and water and pat dry with a clean towel.
8. Remove Color with Toothpaste
Trying out the old toothpaste trick is a great way to remove eyebrow tint. Not only is it a cheaper and less stressful alternative, but it is also as effective as other remedies.
- Start with cleaning your face with soap and water before you start.
- Get a fresh tube of toothpaste and squeeze out a pea-size amount of toothpaste.
- Next, apply the toothpaste to your eyebrow with a Q-Tip or finger.
- Scrub your eyebrows in small circular motions until they are tint-free.
- Rinse off the toothpaste and clean your face with cold water to get rid of any residue you might leave behind.
9. Try a Face Scrub
Another effective way to remove eyebrow tint is by using a face scrub that contains exfoliating beads made from synthetic or natural materials.
It doesn’t matter what kind of scrub you use, as long as it contains these ingredients for effective removal. However, if you have sensitive skin, make sure that the scrub doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients like sulfates or phthalates.
- Gently rub the face scrub in your brows, starting from the center, then working your way out to the end of your eyebrows.
- Massage gently in a circular motion for about one minute and then rinse with cold water.
- Dip a cotton pad into warm water and gently wipe away any residue left on your skin.
- Repeat for stubborn tint.
10. Liquid Dish Soap
Liquid dish soaps are not just used to wash your dishes; you can also use them to remove eyebrow tints. Liquid soaps have a lot of ingredients that are great for cleaning and are often used as an alternative to shampoo.
- Start by dissolving one tablespoon of liquid dish soap in water so it becomes thinner and easier to wash off.
- Once it’s dissolved, use a cotton ball or pad to apply it to your eyebrow area.
- Leave it on your skin for about two minutes before rinsing off with water.
- It will probably take at least three rounds of this process, to remove all evidence of eyebrow tint from your face.
11. Olive or Baby Oil
Using olive or baby oil is one of the most popular ways to remove eyebrow tint. These oils will help remove the dye from your eyebrows while also conditioning them at the same time.
- Dip a cotton ball in a few drops of olive or baby oil.
- Gently massage the tinted area with the cotton pad in circular motions.
- The oil will dissolve the dye so you can wipe it off with a dry cloth.
- Wash off with soap and water.
Being a thicker product, olive oil will be better for removing tough stains like an eyebrow tint. It is also a natural product, which means it has less chance of irritating if you have sensitive skin.
12. Use a Tint Remover
Eyebrow tint remover is a specialty product that you can buy from beauty supply stores or online retailers. They are designed to reverse the effect of a dye job and remove any unwanted color from the brows.
- Brush the tinted area with a dry eyebrow brush.
- Dip a cotton pad into the tint remover and apply gently on the affected part.
- Wash off with soap and water and use a damp cloth to wipe off any excess liquid.
13. Use Facial Bleach
This should be your last resort and I strongly suggest getting it done by a professional. A facial bleach is a first-aid hydrogen peroxide that is applied to the skin to lighten it. As a result, it helps to lighten eyebrow tint, making it easier to remove.
To do this, all you have to do is place a few drops of facial bleach on a cotton pad and use it to wipe your brows. Be careful not to get it close to your eyes to avoid irritation.
How long will it take my eyebrow tint to fade away naturally?
4-8 weeks. Most eyebrow tints will only last for about 4-8 weeks before fading away naturally.
The duration may vary depending on the color and shade, but I suggest you don’t tint your eyebrows too often to avoid allergic reactions, irritation, or blistering.
What is the fastest and easiest way to remove eyebrow tint?
Start by brushing the tinted area with a dry eyebrow brush. Then, add a few drops of makeup remover or olive oil on a cotton ball and gently rub over your eyebrow to remove the tint.
Finish by washing off with soap and water to cleanse any residue from the tinted area and pat dry with a clean towel.
How can I lighten my eyebrows naturally?
Use lemon juice. Start by dipping a cotton ball or pad in lemon juice and then apply it to your eyebrows. Let it stay on for at least 30 minutes and then rinse off with cool water.
Pat dry with a washcloth and apply a moisturizer to protect your brows against dryness.
How can I lighten my brows without tinting?
Use a brow pomade. With a thin, angled brush or a mascara brush, apply the brow pomade onto your brows with short strokes.
Starting at the inner corner of your brow, brush up and out towards the end of your brow to give you natural-looking eyebrows that stay put all day long.
Eyebrow tinting is a great way to update your look and change the shape of your eyebrows. But it can be a big commitment, and if you want to go back to your natural brows, the process may not be as easy as you expect.
Whether you tinted your eyebrows yourself or you got them done professionally, it can be difficult to remove all the pigment once it’s set.
Nevertheless, removing eyebrow tint is not as complicated as it sounds. From using something as simple as your regular toothpaste to trying a facial bleach, these easy hacks will help you remove eyebrow tint without having to wait for it to fade away naturally.
Thanks for reading.
Africana Fashion provides you with daily skincare hacks to solve your everyday problems.