I think my eyes are my second favorite body part. So, when it comes to getting things done around there, I’m extra careful. For instance, I love to carefully put on and remove my eyelash extension. There is certainly no joking with that.
Moreover, I have naturally long lashes that I adore. This is one of the many reasons why I have learned to remove my extensions at home. It is a very delicate process yet very easy to do. All you need is to get the right materials and all your carefulness together.
Remember your eye is the light of your body. So, I’ll be teaching you my simple eyelash extension removal methods. I promise you’ll label them easy and unforgettable DIYs.
How to Remove Eyelash Extension at Home
1. Remove Eyelash Extension With Steam
The glue that holds the false lash to your natural lashes cannot withstand steam. However, you need to use this method carefully. Locate a quiet environment and a flat surface because you’re working with steaming hot water. A little slip will be hazardous for your skin.
- If you have makeup on your face, wash it off but do not scrub the eye area. Otherwise, you may end up pulling the lash and hurting yourself
- Then, fill a wide bowl with hot water
- Place your face over the bowl and cover your head with a towel. This way you keep the steam in, and it works to loosen the bonds and remove the eyelash extensions
- Hold your face over the steam for up to 10 minutes
- Afterward, lift your head and take a q-tip and dip it in olive oil or coconut oil
- Use it oil-soaked q-tip to wipe across your lash line. Focus on the glued area
- When you do this, do it carefully so the oil doesn’t get into your eyes
- The oil further weakens the bond and slides off the eyelash extensions
- Repeat this until you can safely remove the eyelash extension
- Wash and rinse your face with lukewarm water and mild soap, or a gentle cleanser to clean the oil
- Finally, moisturize your face with a good moisturizer to balance your pores and natural eyelashes
2. Remove Eyelash Extension With a Glue Remover
Eyelash glue removers are fashioned to dissolve eyelash glue and allow you safely remove extensions. When you go to a drugstore, look for a glue remover labeled professional grade. This method requires all the carefulness you can give it.
- Start with cleaning makeup from your face and particularly the eye area. Make sure you do this carefully so you can see where the extensions are glued
- Protect your undereye area with eye pads, if you have some in the drawers
- Get brush applicators and coat them with the eyelash glue remover
- Close your eye and swipe the eyelash glue remover coated applicator across the eyelash extension
- Use the applicator like you would apply mascara. Brush your eyelash extension while you avoid getting the glue on your lash line and the root of your natural lashes
- Leave the glue remover to sit for about 5 minutes. It breaks down the glue and allows you to easily remove the eyelash extension
- Take the second applicator that you have coated with glue remover and use it to brush the eyelash extension
- Slowly use it to remove the eyelash extension
- Brush again, making sure you remove all the lashes
- Afterward, dampen a cotton ball with makeup remover
- Use the soaked cotton ball to wipe your eye and clean off the glue remover
- Repeat the above steps for the second eye
- Dampen a fresh cotton ball with makeup remover and use it to wipe both eyes. This helps to get rid of any glue remover residue
- Use a mild face soap and warm water to wash your face
- Pat dry and apply a moisturizer and maybe some eye cream to balance your pores and nourish your natural lashes
3. Dissolve Eyelash Glue With Vaseline
Vaseline 100% petroleum jelly is a good skin moisturizer. Furthermore, it helps cure skin issues like chapped lips and cracked heels. It does not stop there. You can use vaseline to remove eyelash extension. This jelly dissolves the glue that holds those fake lashes and allows you to safely remove them.
- Use your makeup remover to clean your face of any makeup
- Afterward, hold your face over a bowl of steaming hot water for up to 10 minutes
- This will help to break the bond between the glue molecules and your eyelash
- Apply the vaseline jelly to a clean q-tip and slide it across the glued area. Continue to slide it across until you feel the hold on the lashes loosen
- Gently remove the eyelash extension and lay it aside
- Then, wash your face with your fingertips to remove vaseline jelly
- Pat dry and moisturize to avoid getting dry skin
4. Apply Eye Cream to Remove Eyelash Glue
Eye creams are moisturizers that are used around the eye area to brighten up dark eye circles. These creams contain essential oils like jojoba oil. You can use your skincare routine eye cream to remove eyelash glue and take off the eyelash extension. Moreover, your eyes enjoy the nourishment the cream provides.
- Clean your eye area of any eye makeup that might be an obstruction
- Put a little dollop of cream in your hand and use a q-tip or cotton ball to apply it to the glued area
- Allow the cream to sit for some minutes. During this time, the cream dissolves the glue and its hold on the lash weakens
- Remove the eyelash extension and repeat the steps on the other eye
- Afterward, use a makeup remover to clean your eyes and remove the glue
- Wash your face with a facial cleanser and apply your eye cream the way you would
SEE: Best Eye Cream
5. Use Oil-Based Makeup Remover
When your lash technician was installing those lashes, I’m sure they told you to not use an oil-based makeup remover around the lash area. This is where doing that comes in handy. The adhesive hold cannot withstand oils.
- Use an oil-free makeup remover to gently clean the eye makeup
- Then, proceed to soak a cotton ball with an oil-based makeup remover
- Gently and slowly wipe the soaked cotton ball over your eyelash extension. Be mindful not to rub otherwise you’d be irritating your eyes
- Continue to wipe until you feel the eyelash extensions come off
- Carefully remove them
- Repeat the steps for the second eye
- Wash, dry, and moisturize your face thereafter
- However, if the eyelash extension seems difficult to remove, do not pull
- Stop applying the remover and hold on for some minutes before you continue
6. Dissolve The Glue With Oils
Any household oil-coconut, olive, and even baby oil are enough for this purpose. Also, using only oil will help you escape the heat of holding your face over hot water. However, if you have acne-prone skin, you may want to reconsider using this method.
- Soak a clean cotton ball in any of these oils; do not get it dripping
- Then, gently use the cotton balls to rub over the lashes and glued area
- You’ll see the eyelash extension come off easily and quickly
- Afterward, wash the oil off your face and pat dry
- Apply a moisturizer or eye cream to balance your pores
Helpful Tips to Safely Remove Eyelash Extension
- Do not pull the false lashes
- Be patient with your eyelash extensions. The glue has a very firm hold, so, it takes a lot of patience to remove the eyelash
- Apply castor oil on your natural lashes every evening. Do this for a few days and the lashes will come off
- If you have oily or acne-prone skin, make sure you use non-comedogenic oils
- Whichever removal method you use, make sure you wash and moisturize your face afterward
- If the eyelash extensions seem unyielding, do not force them. Hold on for about an hour before you try again
- Remove false lashes before you start your makeup removal routine
- Take extra caution because you’re dealing with your eyes. Be careful to not allow any of the removal materials to enter your eyes
- In a case where something enters your eyes while you remove your eyelash extensions, stop whatever you’re doing and flush your eyes with clean, cool water
- Work in a well ventilated and quiet environment to avoid accidents
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I remove my eyelash extension at home?
Yes, you can. It is not every time you get the chance to go to a salon and remove your false lashes. On days like this, you can safely remove eyelash extensions at home.
Eyelash removal DIYs use simple materials like your makeup remover, household oils, hot water, and vaseline. You only need to be careful and patient.
Will the eyelash extension ruin my natural lashes?
If you remove your eyelash extension carefully and do not pull at it, it is least likely to ruin your natural lashes.
However, if you force it to come off, you may pull out the real lashes and hurt yourself.
Moreover, when you have those false lashes on, care for them properly. Do not use eyelash curlers. You can do without mascara. Also, try to sleep on your back instead.
Does removing eyelash extension hurt?
Removing false eyelashes should not hurt you at all if you do it correctly and carefully.
If you feel it’s beginning to hurt, stop the process and allow your eye to relax.
A simple method that is least likely to hurt you is holding your face over steaming-hot water. Hold your face in place for about 10 minutes and then apply oil or vaseline over the loosened glue to remove the lash.
When should I remove my eyelash extension?
When you notice that the lash is looking fewer than when you first applied it or it begins to look uneven, it’s time to take it off.
Although they can last over 4 weeks, they do not last forever. And, this is also for the safety of your eye.
A perfectly applied eyelash extension can lift your face and accentuate all the efforts put into that face beat. But, when it’s all said and done, it’s time to take them off. Sometimes, a few fall off before you want to remove the eyelash extension.
If like me, you enjoy DIY at home, you should get familiar with these lash removal methods. Also, you can use these hacks to save the dollars the lash technician would charge. Simple materials like household oils, oil-based makeup remover, and vaseline among the lot of them can help you remove eyelash extensions.
Use a method that is comfortable for you to use. You’re dealing with your eye, so, you need all the carefulness you can get to avoid accidents. After taking the lashes off, protect your skin with a moisturizer or eye cream.
Thanks for reading.
Africana Fashion provides you with helpful beauty articles that feature makeup removal hacks.